‘Kim Jong-Il in warm corner of hell`
Washington: US Senator John McCain voiced
satisfaction that late North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il is "in a warm corner of hell" and called for efforts to bring an end to his family`s regime.
McCain, a Republican lawmaker who was his party`s nominee
for president in 2008, yesterday said that Kim subjected his
people to "dire poverty and cruel oppression under one of the
most totalitarian regimes the world has ever known."
"The world is a better place now that Kim Jong-Il is no
longer in it," McCain said.
"I can only express satisfaction that the Dear Leader is
joining the likes of Gaddafi, bin Laden, Hitler and Stalin in
a warm corner of hell," he said in a statement.
McCain, a champion of US military interventions including
those that toppled Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and Libyan
leader Moamer Gaddafi, called Kim`s death on Saturday "a
"While prudence and caution are certainly advisable at
this volatile moment, what is needed most is determined and
creative leadership to bring about, at long last, a peaceful
end of the North Korean regime, reunification of the Korean
peninsula and freedom for all Korean people," he said.
President Barack Obama`s administration has been cautious
in public statements about Kim`s death, calling for a
"peaceful and stable" transition as the regime moved to
appoint Kim`s young son Kim Jong-Un as his successor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him