Kingpin of spurious liquor racket arrested
New Delhi: Delhi Police today said it has
arrested the "main supplier" of spurious liquor which caused
26 deaths in west and south-west Delhi earlier this year.
Sukhbir (37) was "formally" arrested by Crime Branch on
August 31. He had on August 25 surrendered before a local
court, a senior police officer said.
"He is the main kingpin of the network involved in trade
and supply of spurious liquor which led to the deaths of many
innocent people in Dabri, Khayala and Rajouri Garden in March
this year," the officer said.
With this, he said, police have arrested 12 people in
connection with the case so far.
"It was the interrogation of nine persons previously
arrested in the case that led to the arrest of Sukhbir. They
told us that the spurious liquor of `Shokeen` brand which
resulted in this tragedy, was manufactured in Gurgaon and was
supplied by," the officer said.
Acting on these inputs, police had on May 11 raided a
premise in Sector-9 of Gurgaon and arrested two brothers
allegedly involved in the racket. "The brothers had confirmed
that the spurious liquor of Shokeen brand was supplied in
Delhi through Sukhbir," the officer said.
Raids were conducted in Ahmedabad, Moradabad, Ajmer and
Agra to arrest Sukbir, he managed to evade police.
"Sukhbir also applied for anticipatory bail in Sessions
Court but the same was dismissed. To compel Sukhbir to appear
before the investigating agency or court, he was declared a
Proclaimed Offender and his property was attached," the
During investigation, police also recovered 70 quarters
of the spurious liquor of Shokeen Brand from a desolate place
near the Najafgarh Kakrola drain.
Sukhbir is involved in more than eight criminal cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH