Kolkata people did a Sourav Ganguly a century ago: Report
Kolkata: When Sourav Ganguly took off his
shirt and waved it at the Lord`s after winning the Natwest
Trophy in 2002, he probably did not know that people of his
city had done the same thing a century ago -- to celebrate a
historic football victory in 1911.
On July 29, 1911, a barefoot bunch of 11 Indians,
representing Mohun Bagan, defeated fancied East Yorkshire
Regiment team to lay their hands for the first time on the
then coveted IFA Shield.
An international news agency report on that day said,
"When it was known that East Yorkshire regiment had been
beaten by two goals to one, the scene beggared description,
the Bengalees tearing off their shirts and waving them."
The report, which was reproduced from an anthology of
news articles published by Press Club, Kolkata, says, "The
vast majority saw nothing of the game and was informed of the
progress by flying kites."
There was also no racial overtone. "The European
spectators were good humoured and the Bengalees cheered the
losing team," said the report.
A newspaper said: "It was a sense of
universal joy, which pervaded the feelings of the Hindus, the
Mohammedans and the Christians alike. The members of the
Muslim sporting club were almost mad and rolling on the ground
with joyous excitement on the victory of their Hindu
Even a pro-British newspaper, The Empire, wrote two days
after the victory, "Those eleven players are not only a glory
to themselves and to their club and to the great nation to
which they belong; they are a glory to the game itself."
Though established on August 15, 1889, Bagan had first
participated in the IFA Shield tournament in 1909 as all teams
were not allowed to avail the opportunity.
To reach the final, Bagan had defeated St Xavier`s 3-0 in
the first round, Rangers in the second by the same score,
Rifle Brigade in the third by 1-0 and went on to defeat
Middlesex Regiment 3-0 in the semifinal, according to the
After a barren first half in the final, East York captain
Sergeant Jackson drew first blood. But Bagan skipper Shibdas
Bhaduri equalised within five minutes.
Finally, just two minutes before the long whistle,
Abhilash Ghosh netted the ball following a Bhaduri pass and
history was scripted.
To commemorate the historic event, Mohun Bagan has
planned a year-long programme which began on July 29 here.
Before 1911, Bagan had won the Trades Cup three times in
a row from 1906 to 1908. At that time, Trades Cup was the next
prestigious tournament after IFA Shield.
In 1905, Mohun Bagan had defeated Dalhousie, winner of
that year`s IFA Shield, by 6-1, the club site said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India