Kolobnev out of Tour after positive
Aurillac: Russian Alexandr Kolobnev was withdrawn from the Tour de France by his Katusha team after testing positive for a banned substance.
The International Cycling Union (UCI) said a urine sample the 30-year-old Kolobnev provided on July 6 was found to contain traces of Hydrochlorothiazide.
The Russian is the first rider to fail a doping test during this year`s Tour which started on July 2.
"Earlier today, the UCI advised the Russian rider Alexandr Kolobnev of an Adverse Analytical Finding (presence of Hydrochlorothiazide based on the report from the WADA accredited laboratory in Chatenay-Malabry) in the urine sample collected from him at an in competition test at the Tour de France on 6 July 2011," the UCI said in a statement.
Hydrochlorothiazide, often used in the treatment of hypertension and congestive heart failure, removes excess fluid from the body and reduces urine output.
Kolobnev has four days to request an analysis of his B sample but the Katusha team moved swiftly to end the Russian`s Tour.
"We have decided with the agreement of the rider that he will be no longer with us on the Tour," Katusha sporting director Sergei Kunitchev told reporters.
Kolobnev was lying 69th in the overall standings, 22 minutes and 15 seconds behind leader Thomas Voeckler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan