Korea beat Japan 3-1 to hand China East Asian title
Tokyo: South Korea overpowered fierce rivals Japan 3-1 in a tempestuous game of two red cards on Sunday to leave China as surprise East Asian championship winners.
The Chinese beat Hong Kong 2-0 earlier in the day to leave hosts Japan needing to beat South Korea by three goals to win the title outright.
There was no love lost in a bruising clash between the World Cup-bound Japanese and Koreans, who finished as runners-up while Japan were booed off the pitch.
Yasuhito Endo put Japan ahead from the spot in the 22nd minute before Lee Dong-gook blasted home another penalty to level 11 minutes later and silence the crowd of 43,000.
Strike partner Lee Seung-yeoul gave the Koreans the lead after 39 minutes with a fierce shot from 30 metres and midfielder Kim Jae-sung curled in a superb third in the 70th minute.
Japan defender Tulio was shown red for elbowing Cho Yong-hyung just before haltime while Korea captain Kim Jung-woo walked after a second bookable offence in the 52nd minute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts