Krul repels West Brom as Newcastle open with draw
London: Ailing Newcastle United had young Dutch goalkeeper Tim Krul to thank as the north-east England club kicked off their Championship (second division) campaign with a 1-1 draw at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
Krul, 21 and making his league debut for Newcastle, came on after halftime for first-choice keeper Steve Harper who was injured when West Brom took the lead after 39 minutes.
Former Chelsea winger Damien Duff equalised for Newcastle five minutes before the hour mark in a move of rare quality.
Managerless Newcastle are out of the top flight for the first time since 1992-93 and were put up for sale by owner Mike Ashley in June.
In League Two (fourth division), Notts County began former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson`s reign as the director of football in style with a 5-0 rout of Bradford City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?