Krul repels West Brom as Newcastle open with draw
London: Ailing Newcastle United had young Dutch goalkeeper Tim Krul to thank as the north-east England club kicked off their Championship (second division) campaign with a 1-1 draw at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
Krul, 21 and making his league debut for Newcastle, came on after halftime for first-choice keeper Steve Harper who was injured when West Brom took the lead after 39 minutes.
Former Chelsea winger Damien Duff equalised for Newcastle five minutes before the hour mark in a move of rare quality.
Managerless Newcastle are out of the top flight for the first time since 1992-93 and were put up for sale by owner Mike Ashley in June.
In League Two (fourth division), Notts County began former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson`s reign as the director of football in style with a 5-0 rout of Bradford City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah