Kulkarni, Yashas surprise Grandmasters Varga, Thomas
Mumbai: India`s unheralded Rakesh Kulkarni
and D Yashas sprang major surprises in the Mumbai
Mayor`s Cup International Open chess tournament by defeating
Grandmasters Zoltan Varga of Hungary and Luther Thomas of
Maharashtra`s Kulkarni, with a much inferior ELO rating
of 2149, opted for the Queen`s Gambit opening and brought his
rival Varga (ELO 2479) to his knees.
Karnataka`s Yashas, with a ELO rating of 2204, outsmarted
his fancied German opponent Thomas (ELO 2541) in 56 moves at
the Goregaon Sports Club.
Maharashtra`s Sagar Shah (ELO 2265) also did well by
holding third Seed Turov Maxim (ELO 2624) of Russia to a draw
after taking a dominant position for the major portion of the
Two other foreign GMs were held to a draw by less fancied
Indian opponents in the tournament being held at the Goregaon
Kerala`s O T Anilkumar (ELO 2241) forced GM Lafuente
Pablo (ELO 2587) of Argentina to accept a draw in 44 moves in
the game which started with Caro-Cann opening.
C M Prince Bajaj (ELO 2180) of Delhi held GM Simonian
Hrair (ELO 2521) of Armenia. In Sicilian Defense opening, the
queens were exchanged on the 34th move but it took Prince 40
more moves to sign the peace treaty.
Forty Grandmasters from 15 countries are taking part in
the Rs 13 lakh prize money event with the winner taking home
Rs 3 lakh. The top seed is Russian GM Alexei Dreev with a
rating of 2655.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials