Kumble`s encouragement helped me focus: Bhajji
Kolkata: Encouraging words from his former captain Anil Kumble helped him in concentrating on his game after his recent poor form to play a big role in India`s victory over South Africa in second Test here, off-spinner Harbhajan Singh disclosed.
Harbhajan, who claimed five for 59 in India`s win at the Eden Garden`s today, said Kumble had spoken to him recently and that has boosted his confidence to do well against South Africa.
"Anil bhai will probably always be the one who will call me and tell me that there is nothing wrong with me. He just told me to be the way I am and I will be bowling well," he said after helping India thrash South Africa by an innings and 57 runs.
"He (Kumble) told me `You have taken 350-plus wickets and it doesn`t come through fluke. You know what you can do and I have played so much with you. You just have to be confident and it is just a matter of time before you will get the wickets`. He was pretty much right," added Harbhajan.
Harbhajan said he also had learnt a lot from the retired leg-spinner, particularly on how to set fields against batsman like Jacques Kallis.
"I would like to give him a big thanks for the advice and even on the field settings that for particular batsmen like Jacques Kallis I should have a particular kind of field. Thank you to Anil bhai for helping me out," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA