Kunal records maiden PGTI win, Muniyappa finishes 2nd
Mumbai: Overnight leader C Muniyappa had to be content with a second place finish as Australia’s Kunal Bhasin clinched his maiden PGTI title when he shot a superb six-under 58 in the fourth round to win the Crompton Greaves Open here on Saturday.
Muniyappa fired a blemish-free four-under 60 but was left one stroke behind Bhasin, whose splendid final round catapulted him to the top as he signed off at 16 under 218.
Bhasin, who was overnight tied third, fired an eagle, six birdies and a bogey overall to emerge champion.
He made birdies on the third, fifth and seventh. His next birdie on the 12th came at a crucial juncture as it helped him come on level terms with Muniyappa.
Bhasin took home the winner’s cheque of Rs. 12,93,200 and thus climbed from 37th place to seventh position on the PGTI Order of Merit for 2009.
“This win is highly satisfying because it’s my first as a professional and also because I achieved it in Mumbai which has been my home in India for some time now,” he said.
Muniyappa’s final round featured birdies on the third, fourth, fifth and 18th.
Mukesh Kumar finished third at 14 under 220 while Himmat Singh Rai was fourth at 10 under 224.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary