Kuranyi double gives Schalke win over newcomers Nuremberg
Berlin: Schalke 04 striker Kevin Kuranyi struck either side of halftime to secure a 2-1 victory over promoted Nuremberg in their Bundesliga opener on Saturday.
The win also marked a successful debut for coach Felix Magath, who last season steered VfL Wolfsburg to the title.
Kuranyi struck from close range in the 36th minute after picking up a Jefferson Farfan pass and added a second five minutes after the restart by firing in a cross from Georgian Levan Kenia.
Nuremberg’s Slovak striker Marek Mintal managed to pull one back two minutes from time.
Eintracht Frankfurt stunned hosts Werder Bremen 3-2, with two first-half goals from Yannis Amanatidis who missed most of last season due to injury.
Borussia Dortmund edged a Cologne side missing injured striker Lukas Podolski, who has rejoined the club from Bayern Munich, thanks to Marvin Matip’s own goal in the 75th.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday