Lajpat Nagar blast: Accused seek trial by transferred judge
New Delhi: The accused in the 1996 Lajpat
Nagar blast case have approached a Delhi court seeking
transfer of the matter to a judge who was earlier conducting
the trial and was recently been transferred.
District and Sessions Judge G P Mittal, after taking
the application into the records, has fixed the matter for
The accused, including prime suspect Farooq Ahmed
Khan, said Additional Sessions Judge M K Nagpal, who had
been hearing the 13-year-old case for quite some time, has
been transferred, which would further prolong the trial.
They claimed it was against the principles of natural
justice and sought the transfer of the case to ASJ Nagpal for
its speedy disposal.
Meanwhile, Additional Sessions Judge Chandra Gupta,
who succeeded ASJ Nagpal, today recorded the statement of
prosecution witness Sanjeev Kumar, the then Junior Telecom
Officer Anantnag district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Kumar, recording his statement as 107th prosecution
witness, said he had provided the telephone call details,
allegedly of key accused Farooq Ahmed, to Jammu and Kashmir
Police on May 23, 1996.
The call details allegedly helped the police in
zeroing on the accused after the explosion that had rocked the
crowded Central Market in Lajpat Nagar in south Delhi on the
evening of May 21, 1996 which claimed 13 lives, besides
injuring 39 people and setting ablaze 14 buildings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145