Lakhani, Sanaa in ITF semifinal
New Delhi: India`s Isha Lakhani advanced to the semifinal of the women`s International Tennis Federation (ITF) tournament with a 6-2, 6-4 win over compatriot Parija Maloo at the DLTA.
Sixth seeded Lakhani, who is coming back from an injury lay-off, will next face top seeded Briton Emily Webley-Smith.
A shoulder injury had kept left-handed Lakhani out of the circuit. Lakhani, who lost in the second round of the ITF here in May while playing with the injury, seems to have recovered well.
Emily dispatched Indian Rishika Sunkara 6-2, 6-2.
In the other semifinal, fifth-seeded Sanaa Bhambri will take on Uzbekistan`s Alexandra Kolesnichenko.
Bhambri got past compatriot Parul Goswami 6-2, 6-0 while the Uzbek prevailed over giant-killer Slovak Dalila Japukovic 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in a tough duel.
Jakupovic though made up for the loss by reaching the doubles final with Indian partner Ashmitha Easwaramurthi. The duo defeated Parul Goswami and Vietnam`s Huynh Phuong Dai 6-0, 0-6, (10-6).
In the final, they will clash with the second seeded pair of Emily and Kolesnichenko, who got the better of Isha and Anastasia Malhotra of Japan 3-6, 6-2 (10-5).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?