Lakhani, Sanaa in ITF semifinal
New Delhi: India`s Isha Lakhani advanced to the semifinal of the women`s International Tennis Federation (ITF) tournament with a 6-2, 6-4 win over compatriot Parija Maloo at the DLTA.
Sixth seeded Lakhani, who is coming back from an injury lay-off, will next face top seeded Briton Emily Webley-Smith.
A shoulder injury had kept left-handed Lakhani out of the circuit. Lakhani, who lost in the second round of the ITF here in May while playing with the injury, seems to have recovered well.
Emily dispatched Indian Rishika Sunkara 6-2, 6-2.
In the other semifinal, fifth-seeded Sanaa Bhambri will take on Uzbekistan`s Alexandra Kolesnichenko.
Bhambri got past compatriot Parul Goswami 6-2, 6-0 while the Uzbek prevailed over giant-killer Slovak Dalila Japukovic 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in a tough duel.
Jakupovic though made up for the loss by reaching the doubles final with Indian partner Ashmitha Easwaramurthi. The duo defeated Parul Goswami and Vietnam`s Huynh Phuong Dai 6-0, 0-6, (10-6).
In the final, they will clash with the second seeded pair of Emily and Kolesnichenko, who got the better of Isha and Anastasia Malhotra of Japan 3-6, 6-2 (10-5).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'