Lakshmi Mittal richest biz tycoon in South Africa
Johanneburg: India-born steel magnate Lakshmi
Mittal remains the richest business tycoon in South Africa
despite his fortune having halved in the past year due to the
Mittal heads the Rich List, a ranking of the 150
wealthiest businessmen in South Africa released here by the
weekly Sunday Times, for the fifth consecutive year, even
though he is not living in South Africa.
He has been included in the list because of his
shareholding in Arcelor Mittal SA, the steel company born out
of Mittal`s takeover of former state-owned monopoly Iscor.
According to the Rich List, Mittal remains at the top of
the list despite the value of his stake in Arcelor Mittal SA
having come down to more than half in the past year, from 45.7
billion rand to 16.95 billion rand owing to weak global
The Rich List is based on an analysis of holdings of all
companies listed on the Johannesburg Securities Exchange.
Mittal narrowly beat South African businessman Patrice
Motsepe of African Rainbow Minerals, whose stake value stood
at 14.246 billion rand.
Their nearest rival Nicky Oppenheimer was way below them
with just 5.3 billion rand. Only four South African Indian
businessmen -- Ragi Moonsamy (61), Akhter Deshmukh (143),
Mustaq Brey (145) and Yogesh Narsing (147) -- made it to the
list of 150.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days