`Land meant for real estate should be given for WB IT project`
Kolkata: In the wake of West Bengal
scraping a proposed IT township project after a land scam at
Vedic Village, industry body Nasscom today said the state
government should provide land to IT companies from its real
"The Government has enough land. It has land in
Rajarhat township, but it is meant for real estate. Government
has to choose whether it wants employment by offering land to
IT companies or just make buildings," Nasscom Eastern Regional
Council Chairman V V R Babu told reports on the sidelines of
a CEOs Summit here.
The West Bengal Government had early this month
shelved the IT township project at Rajarhat in North 24
Parganas, where Wipro and Infosys were supposed to set up
their units, after allegations of irregularities in allocation
of land for the luxury Vedic Village resort surfaced.
Both of the IT majors were assured 90 acre of land
each by the government and the MoUs in this regard were signed
Told that IT companies were not ready to pay the
proper price for land at Rajarhat, Babu said companies wanted
land at a price they received in other states.
Meanwhile, former Nasscom president Kiran Karnik said
it was the government which drove IT companies to cities.
"In small cities, companies do not require 25 acre,
but below this companies do not get tax benefits," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Retirement age for all government doctors will be increased to 65, announces PM Narendra Modi
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis, Sania Mirza-Ivan Dodig pairs ease into 2016 French Open pre-quarters
- Nifty ends May F&O series above 8,000-mark, up 135 points
- Zlatan Ibrahamovic praises Jose Mourinho but refuses to name next club
- Learn in 5 steps to make easy money on YouTube!