Large Hadron Collider cranks up to new world record
Geneva: The world`s largest particle collider notched up a new record today as it escalated its quest to find fundamental matter and explore the origins of the Universe, CERN said.
At 00:38 am o Thursday (0408 IST today), the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) brought together two opposing beams of protons, each with an energy of four teraelectronvolts, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said in a press release.
"The collision energy of 8 TeV is a new world record, and increases the machine`s discovery potential considerably," it said.
The LHC comprises a ring-shaped tunnel near Geneva, 27 kilometres (17 miles) long and up to 175 metres (570 feet) below ground.
Beams of protons are accelerated in opposed directions to nearly the speed of light.
Super-conducting magnets "bend" the beams so that the particle streams collide within four large chambers. Swathing the chambers are detectors that give a 3-D image of the traces of sub-atomic particles hurled out from the protons` destruction.
The tracks are then scrutinised for movements, properties or novel particles that could advance understanding of matter.
The big goal of 2012 is to determine the existence or otherwise of the Higgs Boson, which according to a theory of matter called the Standard Model would explain mass.
The LHC had been running smoothly for two years at a collision energy totalling 7 TeV before a winter break when the decision was made to escalate to 8 TeV.
"Although the increase in collision energy is relatively modest, it translates to an increased discovery potential," CERN said.
Higher energy collisions mean that Higgs Bosons, if they exist, will be produced more copiously, the organisation said.
On the other hand, they also boost background noise that mimicks the likely signal of the Higgs.
"That means that the full year`s running will still be necessary to convert the tantalising hints seen in 2011 into a discovery, or to rule out the Standard Model Higgs particle altogether," CERN said.
Today`s increase also hikes the potential for creating hoped-for "supersymmetrical" particles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'