Late Keane goal gives Ireland 2-1 win in Cyprus
Nicosia: A late goal from an unmarked Robbie Keane gave Ireland a 2-1 victory over Cyprus in their World Cup Group Eight qualifier on Saturday.
The visitors were spared their blushes when Keane caught the Cyprus defence off guard with a header in the 83rd minute.
Kevin Doyle had opened the scoring in the fifth minute, taking advantage of confusion in the Cypriot goal area.
But Cyprus equalised in the 30th minute with a long shot from Marios Elia.
The hosts were missing several key players and coach Angelos Anastassiades had to watch the game from the stands after being suspended for one match after being sent off in a previous home qualifier against Montenegro.
Ireland are now second in the group with 16 points, one behind Italy. Cyprus are fourth with five points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days