Late Keane goal gives Ireland 2-1 win in Cyprus
Nicosia: A late goal from an unmarked Robbie Keane gave Ireland a 2-1 victory over Cyprus in their World Cup Group Eight qualifier on Saturday.
The visitors were spared their blushes when Keane caught the Cyprus defence off guard with a header in the 83rd minute.
Kevin Doyle had opened the scoring in the fifth minute, taking advantage of confusion in the Cypriot goal area.
But Cyprus equalised in the 30th minute with a long shot from Marios Elia.
The hosts were missing several key players and coach Angelos Anastassiades had to watch the game from the stands after being suspended for one match after being sent off in a previous home qualifier against Montenegro.
Ireland are now second in the group with 16 points, one behind Italy. Cyprus are fourth with five points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!