Late Keane goal gives Ireland 2-1 win in Cyprus
Nicosia: A late goal from an unmarked Robbie Keane gave Ireland a 2-1 victory over Cyprus in their World Cup Group Eight qualifier on Saturday.
The visitors were spared their blushes when Keane caught the Cyprus defence off guard with a header in the 83rd minute.
Kevin Doyle had opened the scoring in the fifth minute, taking advantage of confusion in the Cypriot goal area.
But Cyprus equalised in the 30th minute with a long shot from Marios Elia.
The hosts were missing several key players and coach Angelos Anastassiades had to watch the game from the stands after being suspended for one match after being sent off in a previous home qualifier against Montenegro.
Ireland are now second in the group with 16 points, one behind Italy. Cyprus are fourth with five points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing