Late Poland equaliser foils Northern Ireland
Chozrow: Poland snatched a late equaliser to secure 1-1 draw with Northern Ireland on Saturday in their European Group Three qualifier for next year`s World Cup finals in South Africa.
Northern Ireland now have 14 points, still two behind leaders Slovakia who drew 2-2 at home to the Czech Republic. Poland are on 11.
Kyle Lafferty`s 38th minute goal, knocked in from a pass from David Healy, broke a lucklustre start in which the well-organised visitors effectively blocked Poland`s rather disjointed attacks.
Marius Lewandowski equalised in the 80th minute from a pass by Jacek Krzynowek.
The goal gave Poland a new lease of life and promoted a series of spirited attacks, but these were thwarted by a robust Northern Irish defence.
"We were supposedly a team that was meant to fight, but in the first half there was complete chaos," defender Michal Zewlakow said.
"In the second half we saw desperate attacks. The result is real defeat for us because any chances for an advance are only illusory."
Poland had hoped to take revenge for a humiliating 3-2 defeat in Belfast last March, marked by Zewlakow`s bizarre own goal and a fumbling performance by goalkeeper Artur Boruc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das