Lavasa ties up with rowing legend Redgrave for academy
Mumbai: British rowing legend Sir Steve Redgrave has been roped in to help India realise its dream of winning an Olympic medal in the physically exhausting sport by Lavasa Corporation for setting up a rowing academy in the Sahyadri Mountains.
The corporation has signed an MOU with the five-time Olympic champion for setting up the Sir Steve Redgrave Rowing Academy along the 60-km lake frontage of the planned hill city near Pune, a media release said.
Redgrave, one of only five athletes in history to have won gold medals in five consecutive Olympic Games and the only one to have ever achieved the feat in an endurance event, and global sports management firm IMG will look into the areas of organisation, planning, building and development of the academy structure, it said.
The academy will train students not just on the technical aspects of rowing but also mentor them in areas lik regatta preparation, mental and physical conditioning in order to breed well-rounded rowers, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what