Lazio hold Milan to goalless draw in Italian league
Rome: Lazio produced a spirited rearguard action to hold Serie A leaders AC Milan to a 0-0 draw at the San Siro.
Lazio came into the match in third place in the league and knowing that a defeat would almost certainly rule them out of the title running.
And although the hosts dominated throughout, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic hitting both posts with a single shot, they could not find a way through the Romans` stubborn resistance.
Milan extended their lead at the top to five points but Napoli can close that to just two if they beat Chievo on Wednesday.
Massimiliano Allegri, the Milan coach, said his side had deserved to come away with three points.
"We rushed too much in the first half, Lazio defended very well but they didn`t have a single shot on goal," he said.
"We had several good chances, especially Ibra hitting the posts.”
"The lads played a good game and deserved the win but this is football.”
"However, it`s the third game in a row in which we haven`t conceded a goal and that`s good news.”
"What disappoints me most is that we had several chances in the first half but didn`t know how to exploit them."
Lazio boss Edy Reja was delighted with the point.
"We knew that we would need luck to get a point at Milan and we struggled a lot," he said.
"We played well defensively. We didn`t have the right players today so we concentrated on defence and it went well.”
"It`s good to be going home with a point."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi