Lee-Hesh cautious before Chennai Open
Chennai: They are a formidable pair when they share the same side of the court but since they are joining forces after nine long years on the ATP circuit, Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi do not want to make tall promises.
Paes and Bhupathi decided to return as a team at Chennai Open, hoping this reunion would help them prepare well and win Australian Open, the only Grand Slam trophy missing from their cupboard.
"Chennai has always been a special place for me and Mahesh. We won four doubles titles here besides me reaching the semifinals in singles. We are taking it match by match and haven`t set any targets as such".
"We need to find rhythm, focus and get into the groove. The first tournament is always important," Paes said.
Apart from Paes and Bhupathi, Somdev Devvarman, Sanam Singh, Rohan Bopanna, Vishnu Vardhan and Divij Sharan are also in the fray in the doubles. Somdev, Bopanna and Yuki Bhambri are also in fray in the singles competition.
Paes is extremely pleased with strong Indian presence at the home event.
"It is good to see so many Indians on the grid, unlike the times when we were playing," said Paes. "There were just two or three of us. This time round, the circuit is also tight and hence would be interesting to see how the Indians fare against some of the best in the world."
Asked how Somdev would fare in the 2011 season, the 12-time Grand Slam winner said he expects him to play well.
"I don`t know whether he can replicate his 2009 performance, for there has been enormous pressure on him after he reached the (Chennai Open) finals then. And it is never easy coming back and replicating it every year".
"I also underwent the same when I came back the year after I had reached the singles semifinals," he said.
The Lee-Hesh pair could face the Indo-Pak duo of Bopanna/ Aisam-ul-haw Qureshi in doubles final if both pairs stay true to their first and second seedings. But Paes said such a scenario was too further down the line.
"They have been shaping up well, but frankly we haven`t thought much about the match. We have two-three matches before that. And since everyone`s returning after a lay-off, we have to be careful. In the past, there have been a lot of upsets in the tournament," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced