Lee-Hesh enter Rd 2 of men`s doubles in French Open
Paris: Indian duo of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi shrugged off a rusty start and rallied from a set down to register a 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over German pair of Tommy Haas and Philipp Petzschner in the doubles first round of the French Open.
Aiming to win their third French Open title together, it took the "Indian Express" duo an hour and 36 minutes to send their opponents packing at the Roland Garros.
The third-seed Indians were completely off-colour in the first set as they could get just 33 percent of their second serve right as compared to German pair`s 60 per cent.
While the experienced Indian pair committed two double faults, Haas-Petzschner did not make a single mistake, instead they managed to convert both their break points to win the set comfortably 6-2.
However, Paes and Bhupathi got their act together quickly in the second set and were able to convert one of their four break points to prevail over the Germans 6-3.
In the decider, the Indian pair, who were champions in 1999 and 2001, put up a clinical performance to outsmart Haas and Petzschner and run away with the set and the match.
In the next round, Paes and Bhupathi will meet Australian duo of Ashley Fisher and Stephen Huss.
Meanwhile, India`s Somdev Devvarman and his Chinese Taipei partner Yen-Hsun Lu failed to clear the first hurdle in the men`s doubles, going down 3-6, 4-6 to Feliciano Lopez and Marcel Granollers of Spain.
Somdev had earlier lost to world no 37 Ivan Ljubicic of Croatia in the first round of the men`s singles event also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...