Lee-Hesh enter Rd 2 of men`s doubles in French Open
Paris: Indian duo of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi shrugged off a rusty start and rallied from a set down to register a 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over German pair of Tommy Haas and Philipp Petzschner in the doubles first round of the French Open.
Aiming to win their third French Open title together, it took the "Indian Express" duo an hour and 36 minutes to send their opponents packing at the Roland Garros.
The third-seed Indians were completely off-colour in the first set as they could get just 33 percent of their second serve right as compared to German pair`s 60 per cent.
While the experienced Indian pair committed two double faults, Haas-Petzschner did not make a single mistake, instead they managed to convert both their break points to win the set comfortably 6-2.
However, Paes and Bhupathi got their act together quickly in the second set and were able to convert one of their four break points to prevail over the Germans 6-3.
In the decider, the Indian pair, who were champions in 1999 and 2001, put up a clinical performance to outsmart Haas and Petzschner and run away with the set and the match.
In the next round, Paes and Bhupathi will meet Australian duo of Ashley Fisher and Stephen Huss.
Meanwhile, India`s Somdev Devvarman and his Chinese Taipei partner Yen-Hsun Lu failed to clear the first hurdle in the men`s doubles, going down 3-6, 4-6 to Feliciano Lopez and Marcel Granollers of Spain.
Somdev had earlier lost to world no 37 Ivan Ljubicic of Croatia in the first round of the men`s singles event also.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended