Leonardo da Vinci picture `worth millions` revealed
London: A previously unknown portrait by
Leonardo da Vinci potentially worth tens of millions of pounds
is believed to have been discovered, thanks to a fingerprint.
The painting, titled `Young Girl in Profile in
Renaissance Dress`, recently sold for a mere 12,000 pounds. It
was billed at a Christie`s sale in 1998 as `German, early 19th
century` and purchased by Canadian-born Peter Silverman.
Now, a Paris laboratory has discovered that a
fingerprint from the tip of an index or middle-finger, found
on the top left of the picture, was "highly comparable" to one
found on da Vinci`s work `St Jerome` which he painted early in
his career, the `Antiques Trade Gazette` reported.
If verified as a genuine da Vinci it could be worth
tens of millions of pounds, the report said.
The magazine claimed that infrared analysis showed
"significant" stylistic parallels with those in da Vinci`s
`Portrait of a Woman in Profile in Windsor Castle` and shows
that the drawing and hatching were made by a left-handed
artist, as da Vinci is known to have been.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL