LeT `expanding network` in Nepal: US Cable
Kathmandu: Amid Indian fears that
Pakistan-based terrorist groups were seeking to deepen their
network in Nepal, US secret cables reveal that the banned LeT
blamed for the 2008 Mumbai attacks was dangerously expanding
its sleeper cells in this country.
According to a secret US State Department cable
released by whistle-blower website WikiLeaks, the
Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) was
expanding its network in Nepal along with rest of South Asia.
Even as India and Nepal have open borders, New Delhi
has been concerned that international terrorist networks,
particularly those supported by the Pakistani spy agency ISI,
were using the porous border to push arms, narcotics and
The network of Shafiq Khafa - a LeT leader - is
"striving to stand up two teams in southern India that rely on
the support of LeT members based in India, Sri Lanka,
Pakistan, and Nepal", claimed the diplomatic cable dated June
The secret US State Department noting is based on
various intelligence inputs received by it, the source of
which is not mentioned in the cable.
India`s intelligence agencies have ofter expressed
concern that the LeT was establishing a stronghold in Nepal`s
southern plains bordering India.
According to the cable, LeT had planned to assassinate
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi by using base in Kerala
and Tamil Nadu.
Although specific details of planned LeT attacks
remain unknown, late-May 2009 intelligence indicates that
Khafa`s cells were engaged in surveillance activities of
potential targets, likely in southern India.
The United States, which has charged the Wikileaks of
indulging in a criminal act by stealing and releasing these
cables, has neither confirmed nor denied the authenticity of
Out of a total of 250,000 documents being released by
the whistle-blower website, some 2,600 are related to Nepal,
according to reports here.
Last week, US Ambassador to Nepal Scot Delisi slammed
the disclosure of information that was intended to be
"We will continue to work to strengthen our
partnership with Nepal and make progress on the issues that
are important for our two countries," he said in a statement
issued by the US Embassy in Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe