Leverkusen a point clear after draw with Bayern
Milan: Bayer Leverkusen moved a point clear at the top of the Bundesliga after a 1-1 draw at Bayern Munich.
The Bundesliga`s leading scorer Stefan Kiessling took his league tally to nine this season when he levelled on 14 minutes after Bayern had taken an early lead through striker Mario Gomez.
Undefeated Leverkusen have 27 points from 13 matches, one ahead of Werder Bremen who demolished Freiburg 6-0 on Saturday.
Bayern, who have now drawn for the third consecutive match and have won only two of their last seven league games, are in seventh place on 21 points.
Hamburg could also move up to 26 points with a win against lowly VfL Bochum later on Sunday.
Bayern, still without injured playmaker Franck Ribery and winger Arjen Robben, began strongly.
Coach Louis van Gaal, under mounting pressure given Bayern`s mediocre season so far, gave a rare starting spot to Gomez and the German international quickly justified his selection.
A defensive blunder allowed Miroslav Klose to send Gomez into the box to slot home after eight minutes as Rene Adler rushed out of his goal.
The celebrations among the majority of the 69,000 fans did not last long.
Kiessling chased down a long ball from Arturo Vidal, comfortably shook off defender Daniel van Buyten and fired past keeper Hans-Joerg Butt.
The gifted striker was a constant threat and repeatedly left his markers standing, exposing Bayern`s chronic problem in central defence since the departure of Brazilian Lucio in the close-season.
Bayern`s defensive midfielder Anatoliy Tymoshchuk should have done better a minute before the break when he was left unmarked in the box but only managed a weak shot that Adler had no trouble blocking.
Adler then made the save of the match with five minutes left when he denied Gomez from close range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'