Leverkusen crush Stuttgart to go clear at top
Madrid: Leaders Bayer Leverkusen opened up a three-point gap at the top after crushing VfB Stuttgart 4-0 with a hat-trick from striker Stefan Kiessling.
In a sparkling display of attacking football, Kiessling scored either side of an Eren Derdiyok goal before drilling in a late penalty to leave the relegation-threatened visitors one place off the bottom on 11 points.
Leverkusen are on 30 points, three ahead of Werder Bremen, who salvaged a 2-2 draw against champions VfL Wolfsburg with a stoppage-time goal on Saturday.
Bayern Munich, in eighth on 21 points, take on Hanover 96 later on Sunday.
Stuttgart, who saw some of the pressure of a dismal season lifted in mid-week with a win over Rangers in the Champions League, were sluggish, allowing Leverkusen to threaten early on with a powerful Kiessling volley.
The Germany striker, who is battling for a spot in next year`s World Cup squad turned provider in the 20th minute, cutting into the box for Toni Kroos to hit the post.
Kiessling scored two minutes later when Kroos sailed a deep free kick into the box with Sami Hyypia heading the ball on for the 25-year-old to fire home.
Kroos, the gifted midfielder on loan from Bayern Munich, could have added another on 32 minutes but his low drive hit the post again.
Swiss Derdiyok fared better seven minutes later, cleverly beating the offside trap to head in a pinpoint cross from Kroos as the Stuttgart defence looked in complete disarray.
Kiessling and teenager Kroos picked up where they had left off in the second half, with the two combining well and the Bundesliga`s top striker slotted home Leverkusen`s third goal in the 59th.
The hosts then took their foot off the gas with Kiessling grabbing his 12th goal of the season four minutes from time, converting a penalty awarded for a foul on Derdiyok by keeper Jens Lehmann.
The defeat put the pressure back on Stuttgart coach Markus Babbel, with fans long calling for his resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report