Leverkusen draw with Dortmund, go a point clear
Berlin: Bayer Leverkusen needed a second-half goal from defender Manuel Friedrich to earn a 1-1 draw with visitors Borussia Dortmund on Friday and move a point clear at the top of the Bundesliga.
Second-placed Hamburg, on 21 points, visit Schalke 04, who are third with 19 points, on Sunday while Bayern Munich, in sixth place, host Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
Leverkusen, who are unbeaten this season, threatened twice in the opening minutes through Lars Bender and Toni Kroos but it was Dortmund who struck first in the eighth minute.
Paraguay international Nelson Valdez combined well with Nuri Shahin and floated a sweet cross into the area for Argentine Lucas Barrios to head the visitors into the lead.
It was the first goal Leverkusen had conceded in the league since mid-September.
Juergen Klopp’s Dortmund team quickly retreated into their own half after going ahead as the hosts dominated possession but failed to carve out any clear scoring opportunities.
In a scrappy second half, Leverkusen finally broke through the visitors’ double defensive line when Friedrich headed the equaliser from a Tranquillo Barnetta corner in the 65th as the home side preserved their unbeaten run this season.
“We put on a lot of pressure in the second half. The players fought hard but overall we did not play well,” said 64-year-old Leverkusen coach Jupp Heynckes, who had been due to retire before surprisingly taking over the team this season.
“I am happy with the 1-1, though, because Dortmund showed courage. They deserved to get a point here.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police