Levski Sofia reeling after bizarre transfer saga
Sofia: Levski Sofia`s attempt to sell four key players to Russian champions Rubin Kazan over the weekend has made the Bulgarian champions into a laughing stock, local media reported.
Levski lost 2-0 to league leaders and local arch-rivals CSKA Sofia on Sunday in the absence of the quartet.
Trud, one of Bulgaria`s most popular newspapers, called Levski "a laughing stock" after what it described as "a unique nonsense".
Bulgaria right back Zhivko Milanov, Morocco central defender Youssef Rabeh, Macedonia midfielder Darko Tasevski and Brazilian winger Ze Soares flew to Moscow on Saturday to join Rubin.
Levski chief executive Konstantin Bazhdekov told reporters there was "an agreement in principle" with Rubin but the four players returned to Sofia without signing contracts.
"You have to ask the management for the deal failure," Tasevski told btv. "I have no idea. I feel oppressed and I`m angry. Things could`ve been different if we played against CSKA."
Bazhdekov was also disappointed.
"It seems like someone played a dirty trick on us," he said.
The club`s disgruntled fans turned on the management.
"It`s a sheer madness and incompetence," Levski supporter Valentin Denev said. "We gave the title away in the most stupid way. They made us look as the idiots of Europe."
Levski slipped to eighth in the standings with nine points from five matches. CSKA top the table with 16 points from six games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi