LHC sets new beam collision record
London: The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world`s highest-energy particle accelerator, has produced a record-breaking particle collision rate - almost two times the previous rate.
According to physicist Andrei Golutvin, the collider is now generating about 10,000 particle collisions per second, which means scientists have inched closer to their objective of uncovering the mysteries of the Universe.
The LHC is stationed in a 27km circular tunnel under the French-Swiss border.
The European Organization operates the machine for Nuclear Research (Cern), based near Geneva, Switzerland.
"It`s clear that the LHC is the new boy in town, but in two years running we`re going to put Fermilab out of business," The BBC quoted operation group leader Mike Lamont, as saying.
The Tevatron particle accelerator at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) in Illinois, US, is the LHC`s rival.
It has operated at higher intensities, but the current collision rate is a record for Cern.
The LHC is expected to overtake the American machine in due course.
Currently, it is running at half the energy it was designed for, but the scientists aim to take the machine to the top energy of 14 trillion-electronvolt (TeV) per beam by 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'