LHC sets new beam collision record
London: The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world`s highest-energy particle accelerator, has produced a record-breaking particle collision rate - almost two times the previous rate.
According to physicist Andrei Golutvin, the collider is now generating about 10,000 particle collisions per second, which means scientists have inched closer to their objective of uncovering the mysteries of the Universe.
The LHC is stationed in a 27km circular tunnel under the French-Swiss border.
The European Organization operates the machine for Nuclear Research (Cern), based near Geneva, Switzerland.
"It`s clear that the LHC is the new boy in town, but in two years running we`re going to put Fermilab out of business," The BBC quoted operation group leader Mike Lamont, as saying.
The Tevatron particle accelerator at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) in Illinois, US, is the LHC`s rival.
It has operated at higher intensities, but the current collision rate is a record for Cern.
The LHC is expected to overtake the American machine in due course.
Currently, it is running at half the energy it was designed for, but the scientists aim to take the machine to the top energy of 14 trillion-electronvolt (TeV) per beam by 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview