Li puts Asia on grand slam map with win
Paris: China`s Li Na beat last year`s champion Francesca Schiavone 6-4 7-6 in the French Open final on Saturday to become the first player from an Asian nation to win a grand slam singles title.
Sixth seed Li, who lost the Australian Open final earlier this year, grabbed Italian fifth seed Schiavone`s tactics sheet and tore it apart in a confident display of power and accuracy.
Li, who beat hard hitters Victoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova en route to the final, built her success on her lightning-quick backhand and precise serve as Schiavone never hit her stride on the red clay.
Li allowed Schiavone, who was hoping to break the pace with her sliced backhand, only five points on her serve in the opening set.
She snatched her opponent`s serve in the first game of the second set and saved a break point with an ace as she opened a 2-0 lead, only for Schiavone to fight back.
Li set up a break point for 5-2 that Schiavone saved with a service winner, and it was game on from there.
The 30-year-old Milanese broke back for 4-4, sending the contest into a tiebreak that Li whitewashed 7-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!