Liberhan report may be tabled today
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet has been summoned for an unscheduled meeting on Tuesday morning before the start of Parliament`s day`s sitting, strengthening speculation that the government may be pushed to tabling the Liberhan Commission report on Babri Masjid demolition.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee will chair the meeting in the absence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is in the US.
The unscheduled meeting was announced after Sonia chaired the Congress huddle, attended by Pranab, Home Minister P Chidambaram and Defence minister AK Antony.
The Cabinet is expected to fine-tune the action taken report (ATR) to be submitted along with the Liberhan report, before approving it.
There was speculation in political circles that with a large chunk of the report already in public domain, the government, which had originally intended to table the report about a month later, may advance it now.
Government, yesterday, indicated the possibility of tabling of the report in Parliament earlier than expected without adequate copies of the voluminous document.
Deputy Leader of BJP in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj suggested the opposition would have no objection if government only tabled the English version and gave a time frame for tabling the Hindi version later.
The leakage of the Commission`s report rocked Parliament yesterday. The leaked excerpts of the report had indicted, amongst others, BJP’s tallest leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee, LK Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi for the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid.
Home Minister P Chidambaram had also assured the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha that the report would be tabled in the current session of the House which concludes on December 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Brahmos missiles deployment in Arunachal: India can do more for peace, rather than contrary, says China
- Iraq forces retake key town south of Mosul
- Pak asks world community to play role to resolve Kashmir issue
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams goes click-click as US National Park Service celebrates centennial!
- Fire alarm forces AI to divert Mumbai-Newark flight