Life of Rabindranath Tagore at a glance
New Delhi: Here are milestones from Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore`s life as his 150th birth anniversary is celebrated Monday:
1861, May 7: Rabindranath Tagore is born to Debendranath Tagore and Sarada Devi at Jorasanko House.
1868: He is sent to Oriental Seminary, possibly India`s first fully private school. Subsequently admitted to a regular school.
1869: Attempts his first verse after reading a Bengali translation of Bernardin de Saint-Pierre`s "Paul et Virginie".
1871: Joins Bengal Academy, an Anglo-Indian school.
1873: His `upanayan` (brahminical initiation) is performed. Writes play "Prithviraj Parajaya" (manuscript lost) and tours India.
1874: Anonymously publishes poem "Abhilasa" (Desire); joins Saint Xavier`s School, Kolkata.
1876: Joins the short-lived Secret Society, modelled on Mazzini`s Carbonari. His first literary criticism of a book of Bengali poems appears in journal Jnanankur.
1877: On Jan 1, Tagore writes and recites poem on Delhi Durbar arranged by Lord Lytton to proclaim Queen Victoria. Writes his first long story "Bhikharini" (Beggar Maid), first unfinished novel "Karuna" and long poem "Kabikahini".
1878: Studies English in Ahmedabad. Embarks on his first foreign tour - September 1878 to February 1880 - and goes to school at Brighton, England.
1879: Moves to London and joins University College.
1881: Composes his first set of devotional songs. His first musical play "Valmiki Pratibha" is staged at Jorasanko; sails for England April 20; starts writing novel "Bauthakuranir Hat" (The Young Queen`s Market).
1882: Writes poem "Nirjharer Svapnabhanga" (The Awakening of the Fountain).
1883: Marries Mrinalini Devi.
1886: Tagore is caught in controversies over social and socio-religious subjects. Composes and sings the inaugural song for the second session of the Indian National Congress.
1888: On March 8, his father Debendranath executes the trust deed of Santiniketan trust. Tagore publishes "Samalochana" -- a collection of essays on literary criticism.
1890: Attacks the anti-India policy of Lord Cross; takes charge of the management of Tagore Estate; sails for England, also visits Italy and France.
1891: Writes first six short stories, the popular "Post Master", and the first of "Chitrangada". Starts Bengali magazine Sadhana along with his nephew. On Dec Dec 22, attends a festival associated with the consecration of the prayer hall at Santiniketan.
1895: Pens short stories beginning with "Kshudita Pashan" (Hungry Stones).
1897: Writes "Baikunther Khata" (The Manuscript of Baikuntha) -- a comedy; plays the role of Kedar in its stage presentation; writes dramatic poem "Sati".
1898: Becomes the editor of Bharati magazine, opposes British policies. Plans to set up a school at Santiniketan.
1899: His family moves to Santiniketan. Assists Sister Nivedita to organise relief for plague victims in Kolkata; delivers his first sermon in the temple at Santiniketan on its anniversary.
1900: Publishes "Katha" (plays and ballads), "Kahini" (story-poems) and the collection of short stories "Galpaguchchha".
1901: On Dec 22, Tagore sets up Santiniketan on the model of ancient forest schools (tapovana) of India and himself teaches there; scripts play "Chirakumar Sabha" (The Bachelors` Club).
1902: Faces severe financial problems in running the school at Santiniketan for which he even sells his personal property. His wife dies Nov 23.
1911: Composes "Jana Gana Mana", which is sung on the 26th session of the Indian National Congress. It goes on to be India`s national anthem later.
1912: "Gitanjali-Song Offerings" is published. It wins the Nobel Prize for Literature a year later.
1913: Delivers lectures in Chicago on the "Ideals of Ancient Civilsation" and "The Problem of Evil"; Calcutta University decides to confer a D.Litt degree on him, news reaches Santinikaten about the Nobel prize. The Macmillan & Co, London, publishes a popular edition of "Gitanjali".
1914: Receives the Nobel prize diploma and medal on behalf of the Swedish Academy at a special reception in Kolkata.
1917-1925: Tours the world, takes to painting and attends lectures both in India and abroad.
1940: Condemns Russia`s aggression in Finland; is taken seriously ill on Sep 26.
1941, Aug 7: Tagore dies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'