Life term for Panther`s party leader, associate
New Delhi: A National Panthers Party leader
and his associate, who were convicted for waging a war against
the country and possessing RDX and illegal money in 2006, were
sentenced to life imprisonment on Saturday.
The order was pronounced by Additional Sessions Judge
Madhu Jain who had reserved the judgement on August 27 after
holding the duo guilty.
Mohd Iqbal Jaan, who contested the last Lok Sabha
elections from the Baramulla constituency in Jammu and
Kashmir, and Mustaq Ahmed Kallu were arrested with two
kilogram RDX and Rs five lakh cash on November 27, 2006.
The court had convicted them under various provisions of
IPC dealing with waging a war against the country and
collecting arms and ammunition, besides other provisions of
the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Explosive
During the arguments on sentence on August 27, R M Tufail
and Anwar Ahmed Khan, appearing for the convicts, had sought
leniency on the ground that they had a family to look after.
"Jaan has five unmarried sisters while Mustaq has a
three-year-old girl, his wife and mother to take care of,"
they had said seeking minimum punishment.
The prosecution, on the other hand, had sought adequate
punishment against both the convicts.
After the pronouncement of the verdict, Sanjay Sachdeva,
former president of Delhi unit of NPP, said they would
approach the Delhi High Court against the order.
According to the prosecution, both the convicts had
brought two kilograms RDX from Deoband in Uttar Pradesh to
Delhi for carrying out the blasts here.
The court had in its judgement rejected the contentions
of defence counsel Khan who alleged both Jaan and Kallu, who
came to Delhi on a business trip, were abducted from a hotel
ten days before their arrest on November 27, 2006.
Jaan used to run a gas agency while Kallu had a shoe
shop in Baramulla district, he had claimed.
The court had acquitted the duo of the charges of being
members of Jaish-e-Mohammed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!