Lifters dominate 2011 dope list
New Delhi: Weightlifters and powerlifters dominated the list of 25 dope offenders released by Sports Minister Ajay Maken in the Parliament here on Tuesday.
Replying to a question on what steps the government was taking to tackle the menace of doping in Indian sports, Maken listed the number of athletes who flunked tests this year.
As it turned out, weightlifters (10) and powerlifters (7) made up more than half the list with six boxers adding to the list.
A cyclist and football player completed the 25 who have been reported.
According to statistics given by the Ministry for the past three years, most dope cases were reported in 2010 when 204 sportspersons made the list.
The number was 79 in 2009 and lower at 69 in 2008.
So far this year, there has not been a case of any wrestler or track and field athlete being reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?