Lin Dan not feeling so super in Singapore
Singapore: China`s Olympic badminton champion Lin Dan was subjected to boos and jeers on Sunday after the sport`s golden boy was forced to withdraw from the Singapore Open final due to illness.
The 27-year-old, who also skipped a news conference earlier in the week, had been due to play countryman Chen Jin in the final but pulled out after being diagnosed with gastroenteritis by the tournament`s doctor.
Some 7,000 fans who had turned up at Singapore`s Indoor Stadium to see "Super Dan" vented their frustration at his withdrawl.
"I felt very unwell after I went to bed. This morning I still didn`t feel very well so I went to the tournament office and consulted the team doctor," Lin told a news conference.
"I can understand how the spectators feel, as the week went on I have had more and more people cheering for me. I can empathise with them as I have a lot of supporters in Singapore."
Tournament referee Ernest Robinson confirmed that Lin had pulled out due to gastroenteritis and that Chen Jin had been awarded the title on a walkover.
In the women`s final, China`s Wang Xin defeated Denmark`s Tine Baun 21-19 21-17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video