Lionel Messi wins UEFA Best Player in Europe award
Monaco: Lionel Messi has won the inaugural UEFA Best Player in Europe award for the 2010-11 season.
Messi beat his Barcelona teammate Xavi Hernandez and Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid in a poll of journalists from across Europe.
Argentina forward Messi scored 53 goals as he and Xavi led Barcelona to the Champions League and Spanish titles.
A panel of 53 journalists drawn from each of UEFA`s member nations voted ahead of the draw for this season`s Champions League group stage.
UEFA created the honor after "France Football" magazine combined its traditional European award with FIFA`s world player prize.
Messi won that award in January when Xavi placed third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?