Liverpool beat Newcastle to continue climb up the table
London: Liverpool beat Newcastle United 3-0 in the Premier League on Sunday, moving into fifth place and maintaining their climb up the table that began when Kenny Dalglish took over as caretaker-manager in January.
A goal from Maxi Rodriguez after 10 minutes, a Dirk Kuyt penalty after 59 minutes and a strike from Luis Suarez six minutes later lifted Liverpool into the Europa League qualifying berth, pushing Tottenham Hotspur down to sixth place. Both teams have 55 points but Liverpool have a better goal difference.
In the other lunchtime kickoff, Birmingham City drew 1-1 with Wolverhampton Wanderers at St Andrews, leaving Wolves in relegation trouble. They remain second bottom on 34 points, a point from safety, while Birmingham are 15th on 39 points.
Liverpool, who were 12th in the standings when Dalglish replaced Roy Hodgson in January, were rarely troubled by Newcastle.
They took the lead after 10 minutes when Rodriguez punished some sloppy Newcastle defending and doubled it when Mike Williamson hauled down Suarez and Kuyt scored from the spot.
Kuyt and Suarez were then involved in Liverpool`s third with the Dutchman exchanging passes with the Uruguayan who tapped in from six metres.
The Midlands derby between Birmingham and Wolves had a lively start with Steven Fletcher putting Wolves ahead with a seventh-minute penalty before Sebastian Larsson equalised for the home side after 27 minutes following a weak back header from Michael Mancienne.
Birmingham`s Craig Gardner was sent off two minutes later for a second yellow card.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed