Liverpool beats Malaysia 6-3 on Asian tour
Kuala Lumpur: Charlie Adam scored his first goal for Liverpool as the Premier League team beat the Malaysian national side 6-3 in the second match of its preseason Asian tour on Saturday.
Adam, who joined from Blackpool earlier this month, made his starting debut for Liverpool and was at the heart of the team`s first-half attacking moments. He scored with a twice-taken penalty in the 24th minute at Bukit Jalil Stadium.
It was the Reds` first visit to Kuala Lumpur. The team defeated China`s Guanghong Sunray Cave 4-3 on Wednesday.
Malaysian captain Shafiq Rahim equalized near halftime with a superb free kick.
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish made 11 substitutions at the break, and David Ngog and Maxi Rodriguez both scored twice with Dirk Kuyt adding the other goal for the visitors.
Adam showed off an array of passing skills and created chances for his team, showing why Dalglish had been chasing his signature since January.
The breakthrough came after striker Andy Carroll was bundled over in the box. Adam stepped up to convert the penalty, but referee Nagor Amir Noor Mohamed ordered him to retake the spot kick. The Scot kept his cool to again send goalkeeper Mohamad Nasril Mat the wrong way.
The goal woke Malaysia up and the hosts finally began to show some aggression. They were duly rewarded when Rahim equalized, and almost took the lead through Baddrol Bakhtiar`s header two minutes later.
At halftime, Ngog came on for Carroll. He put Liverpool ahead in the 67th minute, taking advantage of a defensive lapse to knock the ball home from close range.
If his first goal had an element of luck, the second was a beauty — blasting the ball into the net while on the run two minutes later. Maxi Rodriguez made it four for the Reds in the 74th, coming in from the right to convert a cross from Emiliano Insua.
Malaysia`s top striker, Mohamad Safee Mohamad Sali, was a reserve as he was carrying an injury. But he came on to make it 4-2 in the 79th minute after added another goal two minutes later.
Rodriguez, however, nodded the ball into the net in the 90th minute from close range off a cross by Kuyt, who burst through the defense in injury time to score the last goal for the five-time European champions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok