Liverpool beats Malaysia 6-3 on Asian tour
Kuala Lumpur: Charlie Adam scored his first goal for Liverpool as the Premier League team beat the Malaysian national side 6-3 in the second match of its preseason Asian tour on Saturday.
Adam, who joined from Blackpool earlier this month, made his starting debut for Liverpool and was at the heart of the team`s first-half attacking moments. He scored with a twice-taken penalty in the 24th minute at Bukit Jalil Stadium.
It was the Reds` first visit to Kuala Lumpur. The team defeated China`s Guanghong Sunray Cave 4-3 on Wednesday.
Malaysian captain Shafiq Rahim equalized near halftime with a superb free kick.
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish made 11 substitutions at the break, and David Ngog and Maxi Rodriguez both scored twice with Dirk Kuyt adding the other goal for the visitors.
Adam showed off an array of passing skills and created chances for his team, showing why Dalglish had been chasing his signature since January.
The breakthrough came after striker Andy Carroll was bundled over in the box. Adam stepped up to convert the penalty, but referee Nagor Amir Noor Mohamed ordered him to retake the spot kick. The Scot kept his cool to again send goalkeeper Mohamad Nasril Mat the wrong way.
The goal woke Malaysia up and the hosts finally began to show some aggression. They were duly rewarded when Rahim equalized, and almost took the lead through Baddrol Bakhtiar`s header two minutes later.
At halftime, Ngog came on for Carroll. He put Liverpool ahead in the 67th minute, taking advantage of a defensive lapse to knock the ball home from close range.
If his first goal had an element of luck, the second was a beauty — blasting the ball into the net while on the run two minutes later. Maxi Rodriguez made it four for the Reds in the 74th, coming in from the right to convert a cross from Emiliano Insua.
Malaysia`s top striker, Mohamad Safee Mohamad Sali, was a reserve as he was carrying an injury. But he came on to make it 4-2 in the 79th minute after added another goal two minutes later.
Rodriguez, however, nodded the ball into the net in the 90th minute from close range off a cross by Kuyt, who burst through the defense in injury time to score the last goal for the five-time European champions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday