Liverpool confirm Lee`s exit from Anfield
London: Liverpool`s assistant manager Sammy Lee has left the club "by mutual consent" as manager Kenny Dalglish re-organises his backroom staff for the coming season, the Premier League club confirmed on Friday.
Lee, who played nearly 300 matches for Liverpool and includes the European Cup wins of 1981 and 1984 among his achievements, returned to Anfield in 2008 to work alongside former coach Rafael Benitez.
The 52-year-old retained his position as assistant in January when Dalglish replaced Roy Hodgson as manager and added Steve Clarke to his staff.
After retiring as a player, he joined the Anfield coaching team in 2003 before helping to coach England and then briefly managing Bolton Wanderers.
"We`d like to place on record our thanks for all of Sammy`s hard work over the years and the contribution he has made to Liverpool," Dalglish told the club`s website.
Lee, who also won three league titles as a player alongside Dalglish for Liverpool, told the website: "I returned to the club in 2008 and I`m proud of the contribution I`ve been able to make since then.
Liverpool said in a statement they "will continue to analyse the requirements of their backroom team and will make further announcements in due course."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'