Liverpool confirm Lee`s exit from Anfield
London: Liverpool`s assistant manager Sammy Lee has left the club "by mutual consent" as manager Kenny Dalglish re-organises his backroom staff for the coming season, the Premier League club confirmed on Friday.
Lee, who played nearly 300 matches for Liverpool and includes the European Cup wins of 1981 and 1984 among his achievements, returned to Anfield in 2008 to work alongside former coach Rafael Benitez.
The 52-year-old retained his position as assistant in January when Dalglish replaced Roy Hodgson as manager and added Steve Clarke to his staff.
After retiring as a player, he joined the Anfield coaching team in 2003 before helping to coach England and then briefly managing Bolton Wanderers.
"We`d like to place on record our thanks for all of Sammy`s hard work over the years and the contribution he has made to Liverpool," Dalglish told the club`s website.
Lee, who also won three league titles as a player alongside Dalglish for Liverpool, told the website: "I returned to the club in 2008 and I`m proud of the contribution I`ve been able to make since then.
Liverpool said in a statement they "will continue to analyse the requirements of their backroom team and will make further announcements in due course."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read