Liverpool confirm Lee`s exit from Anfield
London: Liverpool`s assistant manager Sammy Lee has left the club "by mutual consent" as manager Kenny Dalglish re-organises his backroom staff for the coming season, the Premier League club confirmed on Friday.
Lee, who played nearly 300 matches for Liverpool and includes the European Cup wins of 1981 and 1984 among his achievements, returned to Anfield in 2008 to work alongside former coach Rafael Benitez.
The 52-year-old retained his position as assistant in January when Dalglish replaced Roy Hodgson as manager and added Steve Clarke to his staff.
After retiring as a player, he joined the Anfield coaching team in 2003 before helping to coach England and then briefly managing Bolton Wanderers.
"We`d like to place on record our thanks for all of Sammy`s hard work over the years and the contribution he has made to Liverpool," Dalglish told the club`s website.
Lee, who also won three league titles as a player alongside Dalglish for Liverpool, told the website: "I returned to the club in 2008 and I`m proud of the contribution I`ve been able to make since then.
Liverpool said in a statement they "will continue to analyse the requirements of their backroom team and will make further announcements in due course."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel