Liverpool deny India takeover reports
New Delhi/ Liverpool: English club Liverpool FC have quashed aside reports of majority takeover by India’s richest man Mukes Ambani.
Earlier newspaper reports tipped the seventh richest man in the world, Mukesh Ambani, to be in contention alongside another tycoon from the Indian sub-continent for a takeover of Liverpool, according to The Times.
It is claimed that Ambani`s Reliance Industries and Sahara Group chairman Subrata Roy have each tabled bids to wipe out the club`s debt of £237 million in exchange for a 51 per cent stake in the club, despite the club`s chief executive Christian Purslow denying any knowledge of an impending takeover.
Ambani, 52, who owns Reliance Industries, had his personal wealth valued by Forbes in November 2009 at $32 billion [£20.5bn], which would dwarf the combined wealth of both Chelsea sponsor Roman Abramovich and Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour.
The more serious bid, though, is believed to be from Roy, who failed in an attempt to sponsor Manchester United`s shirts last year.
Despite the alleged interest, Reliance have issued a statement denying the reports concerning pointing toward a an investment in the Merseyside club.
"There is no truth to the report. We deny it completely," said Reliance spokeswoman Sudeep Purkayastha.
Meanwhile, the Sahara group neither confirmed nor denied lodging a bid to prise the Kop club away from its American owners.
A spokesperson for Sahara, Abhijit Sarkar, said: "We are presently not in a position to comment."
(With inputs from Goal.com)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800