Liverpool deny India takeover reports
New Delhi/ Liverpool: English club Liverpool FC have quashed aside reports of majority takeover by India’s richest man Mukes Ambani.
Earlier newspaper reports tipped the seventh richest man in the world, Mukesh Ambani, to be in contention alongside another tycoon from the Indian sub-continent for a takeover of Liverpool, according to The Times.
It is claimed that Ambani`s Reliance Industries and Sahara Group chairman Subrata Roy have each tabled bids to wipe out the club`s debt of £237 million in exchange for a 51 per cent stake in the club, despite the club`s chief executive Christian Purslow denying any knowledge of an impending takeover.
Ambani, 52, who owns Reliance Industries, had his personal wealth valued by Forbes in November 2009 at $32 billion [£20.5bn], which would dwarf the combined wealth of both Chelsea sponsor Roman Abramovich and Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour.
The more serious bid, though, is believed to be from Roy, who failed in an attempt to sponsor Manchester United`s shirts last year.
Despite the alleged interest, Reliance have issued a statement denying the reports concerning pointing toward a an investment in the Merseyside club.
"There is no truth to the report. We deny it completely," said Reliance spokeswoman Sudeep Purkayastha.
Meanwhile, the Sahara group neither confirmed nor denied lodging a bid to prise the Kop club away from its American owners.
A spokesperson for Sahara, Abhijit Sarkar, said: "We are presently not in a position to comment."
(With inputs from Goal.com)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing