Liverpool deny India takeover reports
New Delhi/ Liverpool: English club Liverpool FC have quashed aside reports of majority takeover by India’s richest man Mukes Ambani.
Earlier newspaper reports tipped the seventh richest man in the world, Mukesh Ambani, to be in contention alongside another tycoon from the Indian sub-continent for a takeover of Liverpool, according to The Times.
It is claimed that Ambani`s Reliance Industries and Sahara Group chairman Subrata Roy have each tabled bids to wipe out the club`s debt of £237 million in exchange for a 51 per cent stake in the club, despite the club`s chief executive Christian Purslow denying any knowledge of an impending takeover.
Ambani, 52, who owns Reliance Industries, had his personal wealth valued by Forbes in November 2009 at $32 billion [£20.5bn], which would dwarf the combined wealth of both Chelsea sponsor Roman Abramovich and Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour.
The more serious bid, though, is believed to be from Roy, who failed in an attempt to sponsor Manchester United`s shirts last year.
Despite the alleged interest, Reliance have issued a statement denying the reports concerning pointing toward a an investment in the Merseyside club.
"There is no truth to the report. We deny it completely," said Reliance spokeswoman Sudeep Purkayastha.
Meanwhile, the Sahara group neither confirmed nor denied lodging a bid to prise the Kop club away from its American owners.
A spokesperson for Sahara, Abhijit Sarkar, said: "We are presently not in a position to comment."
(With inputs from Goal.com)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day