Liverpool face Trabzonspor in Europa League
Nyon: Former European champions Liverpool will face Turkish side Trabzonspor and Manchester City take on Romania’s Timisoara in the Europa League play-offs.
The draw, staged at UEFA’s headquarters here on Friday, also pitted Aston Villa against Austrian heavyweights Rapid Vienna and Celtic against Dutch side Utrecht.
Celtic dropped down to Europe’s second tier club competition after defeat to Sporting Braga in the Champions League qualifiers.
Fellow Scots Motherwell will meet Danish outfit Odense while debutants Dundee United have a tough test looming against Greek giants AEK Athens.
In other tie-ups Paris Saint Germain will have to overcome Israeli opposition in the shape of Maccabi Tel Aviv, while Juventus, who saw off Shamrock Rovers in the last round, will play Sturm Graz.
Liverpool booked their place in the play-offs on Thursday with the five-time European kings celebrating new manager roy Hodgson’s first game at Anfield with a 2-0 win over Rabotnicki of Macedonia.
Trabzonspor have won the Turkish league six times, with the last title coming back in 1984.
The play-offs are scheduled for August 19 and 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?