Liverpool lead the way in League Cup
London: Liverpool led the way into the third round of the English League Cup with a 3-1 win at third-tier Exeter after a series of surprises 24 hours earlier in which four Premier League sides including Sunderland were bundled out.
Blackburn Rovers won by the same scoreline at home to modest Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United followed their city rivals out of the competition, also losing 3-1, at Everton.
A big upset looked possible when fourth-tier Macclesfield Town led 1-0 at Bolton Wanderers at halftime but the Premier League side fought back to win 2-1 thanks to goals from Tuncay Sanli (56th) and Martin Petrov (73rd). Emile Sinclair had given Macclesfield an 11th minute lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends