Liverpool lead the way in League Cup
London: Liverpool led the way into the third round of the English League Cup with a 3-1 win at third-tier Exeter after a series of surprises 24 hours earlier in which four Premier League sides including Sunderland were bundled out.
Blackburn Rovers won by the same scoreline at home to modest Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United followed their city rivals out of the competition, also losing 3-1, at Everton.
A big upset looked possible when fourth-tier Macclesfield Town led 1-0 at Bolton Wanderers at halftime but the Premier League side fought back to win 2-1 thanks to goals from Tuncay Sanli (56th) and Martin Petrov (73rd). Emile Sinclair had given Macclesfield an 11th minute lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez