Liverpool lead the way in League Cup
London: Liverpool led the way into the third round of the English League Cup with a 3-1 win at third-tier Exeter after a series of surprises 24 hours earlier in which four Premier League sides including Sunderland were bundled out.
Blackburn Rovers won by the same scoreline at home to modest Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United followed their city rivals out of the competition, also losing 3-1, at Everton.
A big upset looked possible when fourth-tier Macclesfield Town led 1-0 at Bolton Wanderers at halftime but the Premier League side fought back to win 2-1 thanks to goals from Tuncay Sanli (56th) and Martin Petrov (73rd). Emile Sinclair had given Macclesfield an 11th minute lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam