Liverpool lead the way in League Cup
London: Liverpool led the way into the third round of the English League Cup with a 3-1 win at third-tier Exeter after a series of surprises 24 hours earlier in which four Premier League sides including Sunderland were bundled out.
Blackburn Rovers won by the same scoreline at home to modest Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United followed their city rivals out of the competition, also losing 3-1, at Everton.
A big upset looked possible when fourth-tier Macclesfield Town led 1-0 at Bolton Wanderers at halftime but the Premier League side fought back to win 2-1 thanks to goals from Tuncay Sanli (56th) and Martin Petrov (73rd). Emile Sinclair had given Macclesfield an 11th minute lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- More than 8 lakh people affected by flood in UP
- Virender Sehwag fulfills Sakshi Malik's desire to meet him; this tweet tells how GLAD he is
- Asked to remove pugree at US embassy, BJP MP refuses to take visa
- Pink Ball Test: Jury still out on sighting, no reverse swing for pacers or turn for spinners
- RCom-Aircel expected to sign merger deal by Sept 1st week