Liverpool must buy several new players, says Torres
Liverpool: Liverpool need to buy several players in order to challenge for honours next season, striker Fernando Torres said on Saturday.
"We need four or five top-drawer players to be able to compete," he said in an interview with a Spanish sports daily.
"I want to fight next year to win the Premier League, to win the Champions League or the (Europa League) but new signings have to come for that to happen.”
"What is really important is the club makes an effort and brings in top players who improve the quality of the squad," added the Spanish international.
Torres, who joined Liverpool from Atletico Madrid in 2007, said he had no immediate desire to go back to La Liga.
"I am not planning to return to the Spanish league in the short term," he said. "In the short term my future is in England."
Torres, who has a contract that could keep him at Anfield until 2014, said he was confident sixth-placed Liverpool would finish fourth in the Premier League and qualify for the Champions League.
He added that big-spending Real Madrid president Florentino Perez was unlikely to get in touch with him about a move.
"I have never had an offer from Real Madrid. He (Perez) won`t call me," said Torres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...