Liverpool owners pledge transfer funds for Dalglish
London: Liverpool`s new owners are ready to back Kenny Dalglish with transfer funds before the end of January with the priority on getting more youth into the side.
Chairman Tom Werner said freshening up the squad is the priority and insisted Dalglish, put in charge after Roy Hodgson`s sacking, is the man to steer the club away from the lower reaches of the Premier League.
"I would be devastated if we didn`t see some improvement," Werner told reporters. "We`ve identified some targets and hope we will be successful.”
"I expect progress, we`ve resources to improve, we`re not driven by spending, but our team needs to get younger."
Liverpool, who travel to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday, are just four points above the relegation zone and despite the euphoria over Dalglish`s return to the hotseat they have failed to win any of the Scot`s three matches in charge.
Werner can see signs of progress, however.
"We feel very confident we`re making progress," he said. "There`s not an overnight success, our squad has been inconsistent and we expect to improve it short term.”
"Kenny`s got many of the qualities we`ve looked for in a manager, he has the confidence of the players and we`ll start to see better results.”
"Kenny has proven so far so great. We`re pleased."
Werner, who along with fellow American John Henry bought the club in October, said he did have some sympathy for Hodgson.
"We felt we needed to change," he said. "We handled it with dignity, I think quite highly of him and we all take some responsibility for what has been an inconsistent season.”
"In a perfect world we wouldn`t have had to make the change but we`re in a results business."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference