Liverpool win 2-0 against Arsenal
London: Arsenal suffered yet more misery on Saturday as Liverpool won 2-0 at the Emirates thanks to an own goal and a late Luis Suarez strike, with the London side reduced to 10 men for the second successive Premier League game.
Arsene Wenger`s team, still reeling from the departure this week of former captain Cesc Fabregas and gripped by injuries and suspensions, got off to a bad start when they lost defender Laurent Koscielny to injury after a quarter of an hour.
It got worse when Emmanuel Frimpong, one of their better players on his first Premier League start, was sent off after receiving a second yellow card following a dangerous tackle on Lucas with 20 minutes to go.
An own goal by Aaron Ramsey, the ball coming off his chest after a touch by Suarez, handed Liverpool the lead in the 78th minute before the Uruguay striker made sure of the points with a stoppage-time effort.
Earlier, Newcastle United won the northeast derby with Ryan Taylor`s 62nd-minute free kick securing a 1-0 victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light where the hosts finished with 10 men after Phil Bardsley was sent off.
Chelsea host West Bromwich Albion later on Saturday (1630)while fellow title hopefuls Manchester City travel to Bolton Wanderers on Sunday and champions Manchester United entertain Tottenham Hotspur on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen