Lochte defeats Phelps in 200 metres individual medley
Los Angeles: Ryan Lochte defeated Michael Phelps by more than a second in the 200 metres individual medley at the United States national championships on Friday with the year`s best time of 1:54.84.
"I`ve beaten him before, but this is my first time in a big national meet," Lochte, who broke Phelps` record in the event a year ago in Rome, told reporters. "It feels good."
Phelps`s 1:55.94 swim was the second fastest of the year, leaving Tyler Clary a distant third with a time of 1:59.19.
Phelps broke to the front of the field during the butterfly and held his lead through the backstroke, but Lochte rallied during the breaststroke and held nearly a half-second lead as he began the final leg.
"I`ve been racing Michael so many times, and the key is that breast to free turn, that`s where he is so dominant," Lochte said.
"I knew going into it, that it was going to come down to that turn, and I just focused on that and I`ve been working on that in practice, and I just tried to stay under as long as I could."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets