Lochte defeats Phelps in 200 metres individual medley
Los Angeles: Ryan Lochte defeated Michael Phelps by more than a second in the 200 metres individual medley at the United States national championships on Friday with the year`s best time of 1:54.84.
"I`ve beaten him before, but this is my first time in a big national meet," Lochte, who broke Phelps` record in the event a year ago in Rome, told reporters. "It feels good."
Phelps`s 1:55.94 swim was the second fastest of the year, leaving Tyler Clary a distant third with a time of 1:59.19.
Phelps broke to the front of the field during the butterfly and held his lead through the backstroke, but Lochte rallied during the breaststroke and held nearly a half-second lead as he began the final leg.
"I`ve been racing Michael so many times, and the key is that breast to free turn, that`s where he is so dominant," Lochte said.
"I knew going into it, that it was going to come down to that turn, and I just focused on that and I`ve been working on that in practice, and I just tried to stay under as long as I could."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'