London 2012 to grant ranking points
Paris: Ranking points will be awarded at the London Olympics tennis tournament to ensure the highest number of top players take part in an event sandwiched into a crowded schedule, it was announced today.
It will be the fourth successive Olympics that points will be given, the International Tennis Federation and the ATP said in a joint statement.
As a result of the agreement, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will allow nations to receive up to four entries into the men`s singles and two entries into the men`s doubles, with a maximum number of six men per country on-site.
The remainder of the places will be awarded on a geographical and invitational basis. The women`s singles event will also offer ranking points.
"The support of the ATP in finalising the agreement has ensured that as many of the top male players as possible are able to compete at the Olympic tennis event," said ITF president Francesco Ricci Bitti.
"This is great news for the event and the players, and we are confident that next year`s tournament will surpass the success of Beijing."
Tennis at the Olympics will be staged on grass at Wimbledon from July 27 until August 5, with the final taking place just a day before the Toronto Masters, a key warm-up event ahead of the US Open, the final Grand Slam event of the season.
"Wimbledon will be an incredible stage for tennis at the Olympic Games," said Adam Helfant, the ATP president.
"We know ATP players are very much looking forward to representing their countries in London next summer."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title