London Olympic Stadium in corruption scandal
London: The 500 million pounds 2012 London Olympics stadium is at the centre of a corruption scandal after allegations of secret payments being made to one of its executive in the awarding body, a media report said on Sunday.
West Ham United made payments totalling 20,000 pounds into the executive`s bank account before and after it was selected as the owner of the stadium in east London the report claimed.
One of London`s biggest football clubs has been exposed for making secret payments to an executive on the body that awarded the stadium to the club after the Games are completed, a leading daily reported.
The money was paid to the director of corporate services at the Olympic Park Legacy Company, the quango that awarded the stadium to West Ham, the reported alleged. The arrangement was put in place by a director of West Ham who masterminded its Olympic stadium bid.
Both executives were suspended on Friday after the newspaper confronted them with evidence of the payments, the report claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!