Lorenzo wins Indy MotoGP, rivals crash
Indianapolis: Spain`s Jorge Lorenzo claimed his third win of the season at the Indianapolis MotoGP after championship leader Valentino Rossi and pole sitter Dani Pedrosa crashed.
Lorenzo, winner of two of the first four races, crossed first at the Brickyard 9.43 seconds clear of San Marino`s Alex De Angelis to jump back into the title chase as Yamaha team mate Rossi failed to finish for the first time this season.
Rossi began the day with a 50-point advantage over Lorenzo but saw his lead slashed to 25 points with five races to run.
"In the world championship if you want to win you have to be on the limit," Lorenzo said on the Moto GP website (www.motogp.com). "In the last two races I was on the limit, trying to win and I crashed, so it was a big disappointment.”
"Today the situation has changed completely and now it has happened to Valentino and Dani unfortunately for them.”
"However, for me, the situation is good."
Italian Rossi`s involvement came to end on lap nine when he hit the ground while battling Lorenzo for the lead.
He climbed back on his Yamaha but retired two laps later, marking the first time he had failed to complete a race since Valencia in 2007.
"Today is a disappointment of course. We struggled here with the setting all weekend but we made an improvement today and I got a good start and was able to stay in touch with Pedrosa," said Rossi.
"Once he fell, I knew it would be between Jorge and me but I honestly don`t know how it would have finished because Jorge was very fast today.”
"We are still leading the championship and this is the most important thing."
Honda rider Pedrosa, who had dominated practice and qualifying at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, crashed on lap four while leading.
The Spaniard rejoined the race and finished 10th.
American Nicky Hayden gave the home fans something to cheer by taking third on his Ducati to complete the podium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...