Loss always hard to swallow but I`m satisfied as well: Sania
New Delhi: The French Open final loss is hard
to swallow, admits Sania Mirza, but the Indian tennis ace also
has a sense of immense satisfaction at finishing runners-up in
the women`s doubles event given the way she was struggling for
form and fitness a few months ago.
"A loss is a loss at any stage and initially it hurts.
But when I look back at where my career was a while back,
there is a feeling of immense satisfaction at what I have
managed to achieve," Sania, who was battling a
career-threatening wrist injury not so long ago, said.
A second Grand Slam title slipped out of her hands when
she lost the French Open final along with Russian partner
Elena Vesnina. The Indian star said the strong wind throughout
the clash was a major factor but lauded her rivals for
overcoming the adverse conditions better than them.
Sania and Elena lost the final 4-6, 3-6 to unseeded Czech
pair of Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka, yesterday. The
Czechs were the sixth unseeded pair in 30 years to win a Grand
Both the pairs committed numerous unforced errors but the
Czech girls put on slightly better show which was instrumental
in their win.
While Sania-Elena`s first serve percentage was 54, it was
61 for rivals. Winning percentage for both the first and
second serve was less than 50 percent for the Indo-Russian
The only area where they performed better was that they
committed five double faults to eight of the Czech pair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed