Louise Khurshid slips to sixth position in Farrukhabad
Lucknow: In what could be a major upset for the Congress, Louise Khurshid, wife of union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, was trailing in the sixth position in Uttar Pradesh`s Farrukhabad assembly seat.
As votes were counted for the staggered elections, the high profile Louise Khurshid, a legislator in the outgoing assembly, was behind Urmila Rajput of the Samajwadi Party, Mohammed Umar Khan of the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Vijay Singh, an independent, Major Sunil Dutt Dwivedi of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Mohan Agarwal of the Jan Kranti Party (Rashtrawadi Party).
At 10.30 am, Louise Khurshid had managed 2,826 votes, far behind the SP`s Urmila Rajput at 7,359 votes.
Her defeat would be a major blow for the Congress. It was in Farrukhabad that Salman Khurshid had thrown a gauntlet at the Election Commission of India, saying that he would ensure 18 percent sub-quota for Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends